Wednesday May 22nd, 2024
Download SceneNow app

Construction Begins on Egypt’s First Nuclear Power Plant

The El Dabaa Power Plant is the biggest collaboration between Egypt and Russia since the establishment of the Aswan Dam.

Cairo Scene

Construction Begins on Egypt’s First Nuclear Power Plant

Construction has begun on the El Dabaa Power Plant, the first nuclear power plant in Egypt. The plant is located in the Matrouh governorate, and is expected to have an operational span of 60 years.

This project was kickstarted in 2017, after the government of Egypt and Russia signed an agreement worth USD 28.75 billion to establish the plan. According to the agreement, Russia will cover 85% of the cost with a loan of USD 25 billion, and Egypt will cover the other 15% in installments. The Russian loan will be paid over 22 years.

This power plant is the result of a collaboration between Egypt’s Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy and the Russian State Atomic  Energy Corporation (ROSATOM). This is the biggest collaboration between the two countries since the building of the Aswan Dam.

This project is expected to generate net revenues of USD 264 billion for the state treasury over 60 years. The new reactors will abide by the International Atomic Energy Agency's (IAEA) safety regulations, and are expected to be especially resilient against forces such as earthquakes.

The four units of the project are anticipated to operate at 4,800 megawatts at total capacity by 2030, with the first reactor running at 1,200 Megawatts in the initial phase. The  plant will include four VVER-1,200 reactor units, with the first unit expected to go into operation in 2026.

The Czech business "JV Re" Research and Development inked a long-term USD 1 million agreement in November 2021 to consult on the El Dabaa Nuclear Plant. The contract states that they will provide technical support so that the nuclear facility can be licensed.