Following years of extensive restoration work, the debris has been cleared from the 4,000-year-old Pyramid of Lahun in Fayoum, with visitors now able to access the 15-metre-deep Middle Kingdom granite tomb inside.
The Pyramid of Lahun was constructed during the reign of King Senusret II (1897 B.C. - 1878 B.C.) and was discovered in 1889 by British archaeologist William Petrie. Unlike the majority of Egypt's pyramids, the entrance to El Lahun lies on its southern, as opposed to northern, wing. The tomb is situated on the southern corner of the pyramid and comprises three shrines and one front court. Several artefacts were discovered within the tomb, including pot fragments, a wooden statue, clay vessels, several wooden coffins for men, women and children, as well as human remains.
The news was announced by the Ministry of Antiquities on Saturday during an inauguration ceremony that also celebrated the opening of Khond Aslaby mosque, also in Fayoum, which had been under restoration for almost six years.
Main image from Wikimedia Commons